Antioxidants are generally known to contain numerous health benefits that can make a person really healthy. It is always best to know which foods are rich in antioxidants. Are you aware that there are different kinds of antioxidant foods? Here are some of them:
- Fresh fruits. Fruits are generally high in fiber, water, and vitamin C but most of all they are the best antioxidant foods available in this world. Since fruits are rich in antioxidants, regular consumption of these can reduces risks of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, stroke and many others. Always remember that the vitamins and minerals of a fruit are best consumed when still fresh. You may also try dry fruits like dried berries, raisins, dried apples, dried cherries, etc.
- Vegetables. Veggies (preferably the green & red ones) contain high levels of phytochemicals; most of which have anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-carcinogenic properties aside from antioxidants.
- Beans. Soy beans and pinto beans are both high in protein, folate and iron.
- Nuts. Nuts are also good sources of vitamin E and B2 at the same time rich with protein, fiber and essential minerals such as potassium and magnesium. Nuts that are rich in antioxidants are walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans and almonds.
- Cereals. You want to look for cereals containing ingredients like oats, barley and corn; while on the other hand avoiding ones with high sugar levels. Try adding some slices of your favorite fruit to boost the flavor.
- Spices. To make your food more nutritious, add some antioxidant rich spices like basil, cinnamon, celery, cloves, oregano and lemon grass.