Benefits of Citrus Fruits
What are the benefits of citrus fruits? Oranges, grapefruits, lemons, tangerines, mandarin oranges, pineapples and even limes are all those fruits that come to mind, the moment we hear citrus fruits. All these fruits are very rich sources of Vitamin C, which is a very vital vitamin for a healthy body, as well all know. The fruits mentioned above are also known as antioxidant fruits as they counter the harmful effects of free radicals.
What are the nutrients that are found in citrus fruits?
Vitamin C helps protect the body’s immune system and is very vital to safeguard it from common cold and flu. Folic acid prevents neural cord defects such as spinal bifida during pregnancy and potassium helps in regulating body fluids.
Citrus fruits are very important for a day to day healthy lifestyle. You can have the citrus fruits either whole or in the form of juices, making them among the highest antioxidant fruit juice known to mankind.
Benefits of citrus fruits can be classified as:
- Skin care – Antioxidants such as flavanones, anthocyanins, polyphenols and vitamin C are found in citrus fruits and as they counter the harmful effects of free radicals they help your skin stay healthy and young.
- Strong bones – Vitamin C helps in absorbing calcium in the human body, which is necessary for strong bones
- Protects heart – Citrus fruits like oranges are known to reduce bad cholesterol.
- Helps in digestion – Lemon water which is acidic has been found to aid in digestion. Orange peels have also been known to be very effective in aiding digestion.
- Protects eyesight – A diet rich in citrus fruits has been found to prevent cataracts.
- Enhances mood – Citrus fruits are known as great mood enhancers.
Include citrus fruits in your everyday diet and reap big health benefits. Go grab an orange!
Monday 5th of December 2011
Citrus just rocks!
Saturday 1st of May 2010
The usual remedy for common cold is just lots of water, fruit juice and also vitamin-C tablets..`.