Smoothies not only cool you down, but can be one of the most power packed antioxidant fruit drinks, providing a boost of fiber and many other vitamins. They are packed with flavor and only need to be sweetened with the natural sugar that comes from the fruits themselves.
There are so many things you can do with a smoothie. You can use one kind of fruit or several. You can add protein powders, wheat grass, flax or oils to make a health drink. You can reduce the liquid for a texture closer to frozen yogurt and increase the liquid for more of a slushy style drink. You can use water for a low calorie drink, fruit juice for a sweet surprise, milk for a creamy finish or even a little alcohol.
This is a basic recipe that does not require crushing ice, be creative and add in more or less until you get it the way you like.
- Pick your own fruits (about ½ cup mostly frozen)
- Pick your liquid (about 2 cups)
- Throw in any additions.
- Mix (blender or drinkmaker)
To get the ideas flowing, here is a high protein breakfast smoothie recipe:
- a few frozen strawberries
- a few frozen pineapple chunks
- half of a frozen banana
- a spoonful of orange juice concentrate
- a scoop of vanilla protein powder
- skim milk