Antioxidants perform in the body to neutralize free radicals. They are commonly found in vegetables and in most fruits like the acerola cherry or commonly known as the barbados cherry.
The antioxidants in barbados cherry is known as anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are a type of flavonoids that helps prevent fibrocystic disease, inflammation, and most bacterial infections. Studies have shown that anthocyanin found in acerola contains the compounds cyanidin, delphinidin, peonidin, pelargonidin, petunidin, and malvidin.
Acerola also contains:
- fatty acids such as Omega
- malic acid
Here are some of the acerola cherry benefits:
- lowers the risk of heart disease
- acts as anti inflammatory
- prevents cancer and diabetes
- acts as an anti aging element
- reduces arthritis pains
- treats anemia
- prevents fever, flu and colds
- lowers cholesterol levels
- rejuvenates the skin
- cures liver disorders and many more
Acerola cherries can be eaten fresh, or sometimes can be used in recipes to add a healthy flavor. A wide variety of acerola cherry supplements are also available (in groceries, online stores, and supplement/vitamin stores), they come in forms of capsules, powder, or tablets.