Basic recipe for fruit and nut bars:
1/3 cup of dried fruit
1 cup of nuts
1/2 cup of seeds
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup of light cane syrup or barley malt syrup (not honey)
- Place foil inside an 8 in square pan and spray it with oil.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a bowl, mix chopped seeds, nuts, and dried fruit. Sprinkle on the salt and then add in the syrup, turning it all over with a spoon until well coated.
- Mound it into the middle of the foiled pan and work it from the middle out to spread it out evenly. You can spray a piece of foil and use it to move the rest around in the pan without getting your hands goopy.
- Bake it for 20 minutes and then cool for the same time.
- Do not try to remove the foil until the bars have cooled down. Cut them into bar sized pieces, remove the foil and wrap them up in wax paper. They can stay in a container on the counter for up to 14 days.
Measure the nuts before you chop them or you will have too many.
Measure the fruit after you chop it, you want to enjoy the health benefits of dried fruit but not use too much as they won’t set right.