If you are like me, then you love when it is pomegranate season. However, it can be difficult sometimes to know how to get pomegranate seeds out of the pomegranate.
My father called me the other day and said that he had seen a special on TV about how to get pomegranate seeds out fast. So I decided to look on YouTube and see what I can find. Please check out the video below. It shows you how to get pomegranate seeds out in less than 5 minutes.
The instructions from the video are as follows:
- Cut the pomegranate in half
- Make 4-5 slits around the outside portion each half
- Gently open the pomegranate at the slits.
- Get out a clean bowl.
- Cup the pomegranate in your hand (cut portion on your palm) with your fingers spread apart over the bowl. With the other hand, use something sturdy and hard, like the handle of a screwdriver or the handle of a knife) to hit the seeds out of the pomegranate. It is best to sort of rotate the pomegranate in your hand, so that it is hit evenly. Then the seeds will fall into the bowl that is under your hand.
The video offers some additional tips:
- Wear dark clothing when doing this as a pomegrante’s juice will stain your clothes
- You might want to place the bowl in a sink to reduce any mess.
- Wash your hands with a bit of lemon juice to prevent stains.
My usual approach with de-seeding a pomegranate has been to cut it in half. Put it in a bowl of cold water and then emerge my hands in the cold water. Then I start to peel away all the flesh of the pomegranate and then just let the seeds drop to the bottom of the bowl and the little pieces of flesh float to the top. That way it is easy to collect the little flesh pieces all at once. You can see this method here:
Do you have additional tips on how to seed a pomegranate? Please leave your thoughts and ideas in the comments section below.