Mangosteen Fruit Benefits
Mangosteen juice, mangosteen powder, and mangosteen capsules – these are a few of the all-natural fruit products that are taking advantage of the mangosteen superfruit. The health benefits from mangosteen have caught public attention, and now all elements of the fruit are being harvested as a nutritional supplement. The skin of the mangosteen (also called the pericarp) is full of xanthones, a valuable antioxidant compound. It is ground into powder and marketed in jars as smoothie supplements or in capsules to be taken as a pill. The white, peach-flavored fruit within the mangosteen has the consistency or orange segments. Juice from the fruit is also sold online and in health food stores.
Potential mangosteen fruit benefits include:
- Anti-fatigue (energy booster)
- Anti-inflammatory (prevents inflammation)
- Anti-ulcer (stomach, mouth and bowel ulcers)
- Anti-depressant (low to moderate)
- Anti-tumor and cancer prevention (multiple categories cited)
- Anti-viral (prevent/modulate viral infection)
- Anti-fungal (prevents fungal infections)
- Hypoglycemic (anti-diabetic effect)
- Anti-obesity (helps with weight loss)
- Anti-arthritic (prevention of arthritis)
- Anti-periodontic (prevents gum disease)
- Anti-allergenic (prevents allergic reaction)
The mangosteen fruit as anti inflammatory is of special interest because the fruit can be ground and applied externally to treat joint pain. Taken internally in one of the above forms, the mangosteen also treats many digestive and respiratory symptoms.