Among all other berries, acai berries are some of the less-known varieties out there despite their tremendous benefits. But is acai berry healthy compared to your average berry? Otherwise known as Brazilian gold, these fruits are not only delicious and invigorating, but they also pack tremendous nutritional value that can help boost the immune system and prevent certain ailments. So you may be wondering what the acai berry diet pros and cons may be. Of course, going on an acai berry diet will have both its perks and its side effects, so let’s take a closer look at what acai berries have to offer in terms of nutritional benefit.
Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. That means that if you buy something, I may earn a small commission. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.Among all other berries, acai berries are some of the less-known varieties out there despite their tremendous benefits.
An Overview of Acai Berries
These small fruits are native to South American rainforests and are about 1-2 cm in diameter. They look a lot like grapes and their seed actually takes about 80% of the fruit itself.
Although acai berries are not as common as other types of berries, such as strawberries or blueberries, they still can be found in natural food stores and can also be ordered online.
The acai berries taste is unique in itself, since it gives off a taste that reminds of both berries and chocolate simultaneously. There’s also a slight metallic aftertaste that you’ll certainly feel as soon as you taste these amazing natural treasures.
Acai berries are actually the ‘cool kids’ on the berries block and proper superfoods, for that matter. They are a powerful combination of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that will perk up any immune system when consumed on a regular basis.
What’s In Acai Berries?
If you’re wondering about the actual acai berries nutritional value, you should know that any given bowl of 6-ounces (170 grams) may hold the following nutritional value:
- 211 calories
- 6 grams of fat – provided it’s in moderate quantities, fat is actually positively impactful on human health. This is because fat supports cell growth and gives the body energy.
- 3 grams of protein – protein is extremely important to the human body, since it helps boost metabolism and helps burn fat. It also helps maintain weight loss, while also increasing muscle mass. Protein is the same crucial factor in lowering blood pressure, while also offering the right support for the health of your bone system.
- 35 grams of carbs – carbs provide the body with the energy it needs to carry on daily tasks and activities.
- 19 grams of sugar
- 7 grams of fiber – fiber is essential to the human body since it helps ease gastrointestinal processes and gives a feeling of satiety, which will prevent you from over-snacking. All in all, dietary fiber is absolutely important in maintaining the good health and functioning of the human body.
- Vitamin C – this is one of the most popular and desired vitamins for the human body and for good reason too. Vitamin C is essential in developing and repairing the body’s tissues. It’s also great in helping form collagen, supporting the immune system, and healing wounds. It also plays a crucial role in maintaining healthy cartilages, bones, and teeth.
- Vitamin A – apart from supporting a healthy immune system, vitamin A is probably most known for its tremendous role in protecting eye health from natural age-related decline.
- Vitamin D – vitamin D is key in enabling the body better absorb calcium and phosphorus. It also supports the healthy development of the bone system, while also offering resistance against certain diseases.
- Vitamin E – this vitamin supports the immune system, prevents inflammation, promotes eye health, and lowers the risk of cancer.
- Potassium – one of the key minerals in the body, potassium is responsible for regulating muscle contractions, fluid levels, and nerve signals.
- Manganese – this mineral is great at decreasing inflammation in the body, while also improving bone health and regulating blood sugar levels.
- Omega 3 – this fatty acid can successfully help in fighting depression and anxiety, can improve brain health, can fight inflammation and autoimmune diseases, among other benefits.
- Omega 6 – omega 6 is beneficial in treating chronic disease symptoms.
- Omega 9 – research isn’t conclusive on this one, but it seems that the oleic acid contained by omega 9 may have important anti-inflammatory properties.
- Linoleic acid – linoleic acid plays a key role in supporting eye health and improving heart health.
Is Acai Berry Good For Your Immune System?
The answer to this is a resounding ‘yes’. As described above, it’s precisely the combination of minerals and vitamins it packs in that makes acai berries veritable superfoods.
- Having said this, a regular intake of acai berries will help relieve inflammatory symptoms in the body, will regulate blood sugar, will keep your bone health in check and will provide your body with the vital energy it requires to sustain itself daily, among other health benefits.
- Another great side to acai berries is that they are plentiful when it comes to their antioxidant composition. Antioxidants are those compounds that help fight free radicals in the human body and help prevent the natural aging process that occurs at the cellular level and that is often accelerated by factors such as smoking, pollution, and drinking.
- Acai berries contain high amounts of antioxidants such as anthocyanins, among which cyanidin 3-glucoside and cyanidin 3-rutinoside.
- Certain studies – among which also Effects of Açai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) berry preparation on metabolic parameters in a healthy overweight population: a pilot study – shows that acai berries consumption can be linked to increased brain function, decreased colon cancer cell growth, and lower cholesterol levels precisely due to this antioxidant content.
Acai Berry Diet Pros and Cons
It’s difficult to imagine that such healthy fruits like acai berries would have any side effects to be wary of. It’s true they’re mostly incredibly beneficial to human health, but there are some side effects you will need to be mindful of if you want to integrate them into your regular diet. So what are the side effects of acai berry that you really need to pay attention to?
- As acai berries promote weight loss and suppress appetite, they’re not really recommended for underweight people who are looking to maintain the weight they have or gain additional weight.
- Acai berries also have a vasodilating effect in the body, which in turn causes a considerable drop in blood pressure. If you know yourself to have important cardiac issues, it may be best if you only eat acai berries from time to time and in moderate quantities.
- Small and delicious as they are, these berries may also cause swelling of the tongue, mouth, lips, and throat. They may also cause respiratory problems, so it’s best if you eat them in moderation when suffering from such health conditions.
- Some people that suffer from allergies have reported their symptoms having been amplified by acai berries consumption. It’s not a general rule, but it’s advised that you immediately see your doctor if any allergy symptoms flare up when eating acai berries.
- Another side effect may also be an irritation in the colon and intestinal tract, which in turn may cause diarrhea.
- Acai berries may also negatively interact with painkillers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin. Acai berries may also affect the results of the MRI scan and may negatively impact the effectiveness of cancer medication.
These side effects are especially applicable when you’re consuming acai berries in their raw form. If you’re ingesting them as part of supplements, you should know that due to other components found in supplements, they can actually take a small toll on your well-being, depending on the case:
- Since they’re processed, acai berry supplements can lead to the buildup of toxins and plaque in the body, which will in time lead to other unpleasant health conditions.
- Echinacea is a compound that can often be found in acai berry supplements. Although inherently beneficial in its nature, when in prolonged use in this form, echinacea may ultimately cause some liver damage.
- Acai berries supplements should also be avoided by lactating women as they may be harmful to the infant. If in doubt, consult your doctor and they’ll ultimately be able to tell you if you can proceed or not.
So if you were wondering why acai is bad for you, these are mostly the health aspects in which the effects of regularly eating acai can be controversial.
Having said this, the acai berry diet pros and cons need to be carefully weighed while taking into consideration your specific health conditions and requirements. What can be good in terms of dieting for a person can be harmful for you and the other way around.
Does Acai Berry Make You Poop?
Due to its great dietary fiber content, acai berry will be your best aid in cleansing your digestive system. This is because fiber accelerates and improves intestinal transit, which means you’ll notice an improvement and perhaps even a higher frequency in your bowel movements.
- In other words, thanks to acai berries, your body will find an easier way to rid itself of excess and toxic waste that’s been accumulating in the colon and digestive tract. So does acai berry make you poop? Indeed you can say so. When regularly eating acai berries, you’ll enable an accelerated digestion and you’ll find yourself feeling much lighter than before. This way, foods will no longer stay and ferment for unnecessary periods of time inside the digestive system.
- Acai berries will also help kidneys remove any unnecessary residue from the system, which ultimately cleanses them. So you can also expect to notice a change for the better in your urinating timetable. Apart from this, considering toxins will be much quicker eliminated from the body, you’ll also end up feeling healthier, lighter, and more clear headed, to say the least.
- This type of natural diet may also be extremely helpful for you if you’re suffering from IBS – irritable bowel syndrome. One of the symptoms of IBS can be painful and discomforting constipation – so for IBS acai berries will truly do wonders.
Is It Bad to Have an Acai Bowl Every Day?
It’s most likely actually a good idea to have an acai bowl every day, since that amount of acai berries is enough to boost your immune system, support your body through its numerous health processes and help prevent certain diseases from developing.
However, it’s best to keep in mind that there may be certain side effects to eating this much acai. Carefully go through the ones mentioned above and see if any of the conditions apply to you or if there’s anything you feel might be of discomfort to you in the long run. It’s always best to prevent than find ways to treat along the way.
Even if everything is alright, it’s always a great idea to consult your physician if you’re planning on making any changes in your diet. Introducing these wondrous little berries into your daily dieting plans will certainly bring on changes to your body, so it’s best to ask for a professional opinion before you commit to anything. Your physician will definitely be better equipped to advise you on the quantity you can indulge on.
Acai berries are some of nature’s most potent antioxidant fruits, despite their relatively low popularity across the world. They are, in fact, hidden gems that boast a tremendous amount of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that are enough to keep you healthy, energized and protected from a series of unpleasant diseases.
This is why introducing them as a regular part of your diet can be an extremely wise move, especially if you’re mindful of possible side effects and have established together with your physician that they are not applicable to you. If it’s safe to go ahead, go ahead with full confidence and watch what happens. In no time you’ll feel the incredibly positive results in your body, in your well-being, and with regards to your cognitive functions.
Have you ever gone on an acai berry diet? If so, what was it like for you? What are some of the health effects you’ve noticed in your own experience? Post a comment below and enable other fruit lovers to discover for themselves the many health benefits that acai berries can have.