Acai berries are those wondrous fruits that although so delicious and potent in terms of health benefits, are still relatively unheard of. They contain a multitude of vitamins and minerals and they help support a healthy immune system. Additionally, the acai berry ph level will balance your body’s ph levels, ensuring it maintains optimum acidity which further contributes to your overall well-being.
Acai berries are those wondrous fruits that although so delicious and potent in terms of health benefits, are still relatively unheard of.
Please note that this article may contain affiliate links. That means that if you buy something, I may earn a small commission. You can read my full disclosure at the bottom of the page.
What Are Acai Berries?
Acai berries are part of the famous berry family where they hold a place together with more famous berries, such as strawberries, blackberries, or blueberries. They are native to Central and South America, where they grow on acai palm trees that enjoy a truly warm climate.
This is, in fact, the reason why they’re not grown in North America and sold as whole berries – actually, they can be found sold as bowls, frozen, or in their powdered form. There are few producers though that venture to grow them in greenhouses and later on place them on the market.
They are small, round, and closely resembling grapes. They have a slightly tart taste with subtle flavors of chocolate, which makes them really delicious and sought after by fruit lovers everywhere.
Boasting so many qualities, it’s only natural these fruits also give birth to many questions. Are there any side effects to pursuing an acai berry diet? Is it okay to eat acai every day? What are the positive and negative outcomes of such a diet?
Before we go into any details of what going on such a diet would imply, let’s take a closer look at what acai berries bring to the table in terms of nutritional value and health benefits.
Reader Favorite Acai Berry Products:
What Is Acai Berry Good For?
Acai berries are incredibly healthy antioxidant fruits that boast a unique combination of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
In short, these are the many goodies acai berries are packed with:
- Vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin D.
- Minerals such as potassium and manganese.
- Important fatty acids such as omega 3, omega 6, and omega 9.
- Dietary fiber and protein.
- Antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Amino acids.
Having these many goodies under your belt means you’ll be protected against a number of health conditions and supported in developing a sturdy immune system.Having these many goodies under your belt means you’ll be protected against a number of health conditions and supported in developing a sturdy immune system.
- Your body tissues will be developed and supported thanks to vitamin C, while your eyesight will be thoroughly protected by the healthy vitamin A content. Vitamin E will help protect the skin, among other benefits and vitamin D will enable improved calcium absorption in the body.
- Manganese will help decrease inflammation in the body, while potassium will help regulate fluid levels and nerve signals.
- The fatty acids in acai berries will help protect against anxiety and depression, while also treating chronic disease symptoms. Dietary fiber will speed and ease up gastrointestinal processes, while protein will increase muscle mass and support bone health.
- Antioxidants will keep you energized and will help fight off the damaging effects of free radicals in the human body, helping you maintain your youthful look and feel.
As you can see, acai berries are rightfully called superfoods among fruit lovers and not only. It almost seems too good to be true, yet it is. However, you do need to be mindful of certain aspects if you are considering introducing acai berries into your diet. This is to ensure that your diet will only act as an enabler of your well-being and not as a detractor. Information can weigh so much in making the right decision, so be sure to read below on the side effects of adopting an acai berry diet.
Related Berry Reading:
Acai Berry Ph Level
A little known fact about fruits is that they can be divided into two categories: acidic fruits and alkaline fruits. Acai berries are alkaline fruits together with bananas, avocados, apricots, kiwis, pineapples, and a lot more other alkaline fruits.
Metabolism – otherwise known as the process that turns food into energy – is very similar to fire, in that they both describe a chemical reaction that breaks down solid mass. The type of ash that is left behind when it comes to your metabolism can be seen at blood-level and it can be either acidic or alkaline. It’s said that acidic ash can increase your level of vulnerability against diseases, while alkaline ash is proven to do the contrary and act as an enabler of a healthy immune system.
This is how acai berries positively impact your Ph level, which is another great bonus these wonderful fruits provide for human health. Many people go to great lengths in purchasing expensive alkaline water which raises their Ph level and miss out on benefiting from this opportunity given by acai berries, among other amazing health benefits they offer.
What Are the Side Effects of Acai Berry?
Acai berries are indeed very powerful when it comes to the positive impact they will have on your health when eaten regularly. Despite this, a full-blown acai berry diet may be great for some people and bring forth some issues for other people. Let’s see what these are:Acai berries are indeed very powerful when it comes to the positive impact they will have on your health when eaten regularly.
- With acai berries consumption, there may be some irritation in the colon or intestinal tract, which may ultimately lead to diarrhea.
- If you’re underweight, acai berries may not be so suited for you, as they tend to suppress appetite and promote weight loss.
- Acai berries may also amplify the unpleasant symptoms of allergies.
- Another side effect of regularly eating acai berries may be a swelling of the tongue, lips and throat.
- In considerable quantities, acai berries can cause a significant drop in blood pressure. It’s recommended that you consult your physician if you’re known to have heart problems.
Acai berry supplements can also bring forth some issues if you are a lactating mother, for example, in which case your infant may be affected. Acai berry supplements may also cause an excess of toxins building up in the body over time.
Can Acai Berry Cause Stomach Problems?
Since acai berries have a high dietary fiber content, you may expect general gastrointestinal processes to be smoothed over. This means that digestive processes will ultimately be accelerated, which further means you may feel these changes in the body. Your bowel movements will also be accelerated.
On the other hand, there may be mild gastrointestinal side effects to taking acai berry supplements, for example. Some of them may be bloating, nausea, gas or looser stools. If these side effects do occur, stop eating acai berries or taking the supplements and contact your physician for further advice.
Is Acai Berry Good for Kidneys?
The short answer to this is ‘absolutely’. Acai berries are actually very healthy for kidneys, as it stimulates them to eliminate any residue they may still have around. This ultimately provides a thorough cleansing process and you will be able to notice in your urinating habits.Is Acai Berry Good for Kidneys? The short answer to this is ‘absolutely’.
Acai berries enable the kidneys to eliminate harmful toxins, which will ultimately help you feel better, lighter and healthier. Kidneys are the direct receiver of all the amazing benefits that acai berries have to bring to the table.
So if you know yourself to have mild kidney-related issues, an acai berry diet may be the solution to tip the scales in favor of improved health and general well-being.
There are studies such as The value of the Brazilian açai fruit as a therapeutic nutritional strategy for chronic kidney disease patients that take a closer look at how acai berries impact the kidneys and their healthy functioning.
Regardless if you’re looking into integrating acai berries in your diet purely for their wonderful taste and invigorating effect or are looking to follow a set treatment for your health, it’s always best to ask the opinion of a doctor before you jump into a new dieting plan. Based on an official personalized assessment of your physical condition, your physician will help you understand just how much acai berry you can have.
Is Acai Good for Skin?
Although more clinical studies need to be performed on the impact of acai berries on the skin, we know for sure that their high antioxidant content is extremely beneficial to the human body, including the skin.
This is because antioxidants play this part – they actively fight off the harmful free radicals that attack the human body and accelerate cellular aging. Free radicals are all those that come to us via smoking, pollution and alcohol. Having said this, a diet filled with antioxidants, such as one that considerably includes acai berries, will help you prolong that youthfulness in the body, including in terms of vitality and at skin level.
Ultimately you have great chances of seeing improvement for your skin when you eat acai berries regularly or take acai berry supplements. It will gain better complexion, it will become lighter and with more shine to it, and will generally feel younger and cleaner.
You’ll find the cosmetic market already has numerous skin care products that promote healthier skin through their acai berry content. It’s only a matter of time before this wonder fruit gets even more recognition on the skin care market.
How Can You Use Acai Berries?
There are various ways in which people generally prefer to consume acai berries and you can choose the one that best suits your needs:
- If you live in an area where you can find them sold as whole berries, you can easily purchase them like that and enjoy the multitude of available options at your disposal. For example, you can eat them as they are, as delicious snacks throughout the day, or you can include them as part of your morning routine, along with yogurt and a handful of other fresh fruits.
- Acai berry bowls are very popular among fruit lovers. The composition is easily attainable – all you need is your acai berry packets, some other frozen fruits such as bananas and strawberries and, lastly, milk. Blend them all together and pour into a large bowl. Use some toppings to round up your delicious creation – these can range anywhere from cinnamon and hemp seeds to apples and peaches. Add to this acai smoothie mixture your favorite toppings and enjoy your delicious creation.
- Dry them up. If you were lucky enough to get them whole and raw and would like to save them for the coming weeks or months, you can easily dry up your acai berries, as well. Just make sure you follow the drying process thoroughly, so very little moisture is actually retained. Once they are dried up, they immediately turn into healthy snacks that you can indulge in any time of the day.
How Do You Store Acai Berries?
Regardless of the many nutritional qualities they have, acai berries can become absolutely useless if not stored under the right conditions. You can immediately see them turn mushy and become inedible if not stored properly following storing conditions.Regardless of the many nutritional qualities they have, acai berries can become absolutely useless if not stored under the right conditions.
Having said this, it’s important to remember there are different acai berry storing conditions depending on how you’ve purchased them:
- If you have fresh raw acai berries, make sure there is no trace of mold among them, since mold can develop very quickly among berries. They don’t last long on the counter – at most a couple of days before they go soft, so be sure to refrigerate them.
- If you prefer acai berry bowls, then you should know that refrigerating them is a perfectly viable option and that it allows you to return to them within the span of 3 days. The fruits will still be fresh and delicious, provided that there are no toppings, which can make the acai berry bowls more mushy.
- You can simply freeze your acai berry bowl as well, regardless if we’re talking about leftovers or a fresh new batch. Just make sure to put a lid on your mixture and when you’re ready to eat your composition, take it out of the freezer and place it in the refrigerator a night before you plan on eating it. If you decide to store your acai berry bowl in the freezer, you can rest assured you’ll find it fresh and ready to be eaten even within 3 months’ time.
- As mentioned before, drying your raw acai berries is also an efficient long-term storing solution. If done properly, the drying technique can ensure you great preservation for months to come.
As you can see, acai berries are rightfully called nature’s superfoods, as they offer a wide range of health benefits meant to keep your immune system strong, sturdy and youthful. They offer a potent combo of minerals, vitamins and antioxidants that are sure to bring you vitality, clarity of mind and a strong shield against various diseases.
Having said this, it’s also recommended that you keep in mind certain effects that long-term and regular consumption of acai berries can have on your well-being. Before making any decision regarding a potential acai berry diet, it’s best to consult your physician though.
What’s your experience with acai berries? What effects do they have on your well-being? What’s your preferred way of eating them? Share your thoughts and insights with the community and enable other fruit lovers to discover the amazing health potential behind them.